Sunday, March 1, 2009

Putting in the Power Port

February 26th, 2009

I had set our alarm to go off at 4:45am so that Chris and I could get showered, dressed and out the door by 5:30am to get to my appointment at Suburban Hospital by 6:30. Unfortunately when I was fixing the alarm clock, I didn't take it off weekend mode, so at 5:30 in the morning I woke up and started freaking out.... We were going to be late!! Chris and I both took very quick showers and were able to run out the door at 5:45am. My Mom and Dad are hear and were going to help get the kids dressed and to daycare at normal time.

We got to the Hospital at 6:30am and after admitting, went to radiology. We were brought back pretty quick (since we were the only ones there). Once there, I got the gown on and we waited. I was doing my physical therapy exercises for my shoulder while we were waiting. Finally a nurse came to take some blood and do my IV. She tried once and didn't get it. It hurt so bad!! She told me that she would only try once and got another nurse to help. The other nurse, a gentleman, found a usable vein in my wrist. Chris was sitting in the chair next to the bed. During the commotion of trying to get the stick and taking blood, Chris disappeared. After it was all over, I asked the nurse if I could use the bathroom. "Of course," he said. I asked him if he knew where my husband had gone? He said that maybe the IV was a little to much for him and he needed to lie down...
I explained to the nurse, that my husband is a volunteer firefighter, he is fine, I am sure that he just needed to use the bathroom as well. As the nurse was escorting me to the restroom, I almost tripped over Chris' feet in the next room, he was laying on the ground!!!

"I'm fine," he said, I just cannot be there when blood is being taken. I thought I was going to pass out. So I excused myself, and decided to lay down here until I felt better."
I started to laugh! I love that man!!! He is so funny!!

They took me to the Operating Room, and I met the Dr. that was going to put in the Power Port and the Interventional Radiology Tech that was going to close up. They both were very nice and got a kick of Jordan coming to the O.R with me. I didn't have a lot of IV sedation. I would come and go. I felt the sticks of Lidocain. and the pressure of sewing it up. But that was about it. I had some really funky dreams though with the IV sedation. I felt like I was a body from CSI Las Vegas!

They brought me to recovery after I was done, and my Mom and Dad met us there. Next stop... The chemo suite.....
One down, one to go!
Here are some pics of the Power Port.

No comments:

Post a Comment