Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Messenger, Sent From God

I met a woman today, I think she was sent from God... let me explain...

I am feeling a lot better ( a few tummy aches here and there, but that is it), but I was not looking forward to what was coming... The wigs are just pissing me off, my port (which everyone said is so wonderful) sucks and hurts! So I just knew that something was wrong with it and me.

I had an appointment for physical therapy today and started at 12 noon. At 12:30 this woman came in (about 35-38) in with below the shoulder blond hair. She was on the arm machine and I heard her say something about radiation to my physical therapist, Kelly. I assumed breast cancer. She must have opted for the the mastectomy and radiation with no chemo cause she still had her hair (or she was one of the lucky ones). Well, we ended up getting e-stem (this is where they put the pads on your shoulder and turn on the electrodes) at the same time and I (horded) my way into the conversation. I told her that I had just finished my first chemo round and it was hell. She said that she had been through it and onto her seventh radiation appointment.

"Oh," I said, "you didn't loose your hair? that was nice."
"Oh my god yes," she said, "none of this is mine."
"WHAT?" I said, "It looks great! I would have NEVER known. Every wig I try on scream CANCER!!!"
"This one did when I first put it on, but when they were finished thinning it and trimming it, it was great. I wear it everyday. I don't even take a day off on the weekends." She told me more about "Amy of Denmark" a wig shop in Wheaton, she was raving about them.

Then she told me that she HATED her port. She said don't get her wrong, she knows it is a necessary evil, but she hated it, it was in her bra strap and everything I'm going through. She said she had it removed the minute she could. Thank God I'm not an idiot!!! Then she bitched a little about Radiation.

It sounds stupid, but it was so nice to talk to a lady that is one step ahead of me. I think she was sent from God to let me know that I am not the only one bitching and complaining, and... I can do this!!!
Well, that and the Shamrock Shake I had after PT helped as well.. hahaha

1 comment:

  1. ISN'T IT AMAZING HOW PEOPLE LIKE HER COME INTO OUR LIVES JUST WHEN WE NEED THEM TO ?? REMEMBER THOUGH THAT YOU ARE, WITHOUT A DOUBT, ONE OF THE STRONGEST WOMEN THAT I KNOW !! YOU HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE IN YOUR CORNER EVERY SINGLE DAY (ESPECIALLY ON THOSE DAYS WHEN YOU ARE FEELING NOT AS STRONG)

    ReplyDelete