Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Smurfette's Titty

There are a few things about breast cancer surgery that no-one ever tells you....
Before my surgery, I had to have guide wires put into the masses so my surgeon would find them quicker (hey I'm all for that). First they put the needle in while being guided by ultrasound (this is where they hold the ultrasound Doppler with one hand, and the needle in the other). But before the guide wire is inserted, they put in some blue dye. This is to help the surgeon see where the cancer and the cancer margins are. I didn't realize before my surgery that there was any blue in my breast, it seemed to be contained in the mass.

After surgery, and FINALLY being coherent enough to get dressed (which I don't remember doing), I do remember looking down at my breast trying to put a bra on, and my breast was BRIGHT BLUE!! I'm not talking bruised... It looked like they took a bright blue Mr. Sketch marker and colored my breast blue! I thought that maybe if I could lean down far enough you could smell blueberries (a reference to Mr. Sketch markers that had scents, those were the best markers!!) The entire breast was BLUE! It was from the dye. After a set amount of time, it spread to other parts of my breast. I have Smurfette's Titty. That was the only comparison I could make!!

The nurse also told me when she wheeled me to the rest room that my pee "might be tinged with blue as well". Oh my goodness, I had the blue-est pee you have ever seen!! If I wasn't in so much pain I would have laughed (okay I laughed anyways) and took pictures!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment