Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!



This year has been a roller coaster for us, it has been one of the longest, shortest and blurriest years of my life. But in all the shock, pain, needles and tests, there were some really wonderful bright spots this year. So, in no particular order...

  • Seeing my parents for roughly 3 months. Okay so it was to help my husband take care of me and my kids while I had chemo, but my children got close to there "Other" Grandma and Grandpa this year.
  • Laying down with my girls and them reaching up to rub my bald head, or pulling off my scarf revealing my shiny dome and then proceeding to have it covered with their kisses.
  • Having a co-worker at another site compliment me on my "fabulous" hair and me whipping it off and handing it to her and told her if she liked it she could have it (I found out at that moment she had no clue I had cancer, so I was lucky she didn't have a heart attack!)
  • Having my family's pictures taken one chilly Monday morning to document how beautiful life with cancer could be (thank you Emily).
  • Meeting the most brave and wonderful women I have ever had the privilege meeting in the chemo suite and continuing a friendship that helps me cope on so many levels (thank you Penny).
  • The countless hours of wonderful conversations with my chemo companions during the hours of infusion.
  • Having an online group of women (my Baby Mommas) that not only kept me going each week during chemo with cards, gifts, surprise visits and for them to come together with my family and friends for my first breast cancer walk. You women were so supportive and wonderful, words cannot describe how much you all mean to me and how I will never repay your kindness.
  • My in-laws who offered to help if needed (and we did) and are treating us to a week of warm weather and a bikini.
  • Who could forget being on the radio (98 Rock) and being given a meet and greet with New Kids On the Block. Finally meeting Jordan Knight (at one of the 3 NKOTB concerts I went to this year) Thank you SO much Meg!!
  • My husband, Chris, who laid with me when I ached, when I cried, when my hair fell out, forever telling me that I was beautiful and he loved me and who promised me that I would live through it and it would make us stronger (I did and it has).
  • Being able to party at my last chemo treatment and getting a tiara that I still will where today.
  • Getting my first clear mammogram back after my all of my treatments and finally feeling like I could finally exhale.

Thank you all to those that have read this blog and thought of my family and me on this journey. I know that this year was rough, but I have a suspicion that next year will be great... I mean hell it couldn't get much worse right!!! Hahahaha

I always loved this quote, but it never fit as well as it does now...

"May the best of your yesterdays, be the worst of your tomorrows"

Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie Jo.I dont know you, but I came across your blog because I have Google alerts set up for Jordan Knight( I am a blockhead too, and Jordan girl). I am so glad you were able to beat this disease and be here to write this insipiring story about your battle. It sounds like you are a very strong woman with a very supportive family.Kudos to you for shaing your story.I wish you and your family a safe and healthy New Year.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't kept up w/ your blog specifically,but you've been an inspiration to me & my family! I'm thrilled that you are another breast cancer survivor w/ a wonderful attitude and a great outlook! Thanks and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete